With Shrove Tuesday just around the corner we’re getting those pancake tossing skills at the ready. But this year, why not try a savoury twist to your traditional pancakes.
On Tuesday March 8 try spicing up your pancake mix with Primual cheese and chive spread, or mix it up with one of its other tasty flavours including cheese and ham, prawn or smoked cheese.
For a cheesy pancakce day follow this simple recipe:
1 tub or tube cheese and chive spread
110g/4oz plain flour, sifted
pinch of salt
200ml/7fl oz milk mixed with 75ml/3fl oz water
1. Hold a sieve high above a large mixing bowl and sift the flour.
2. Make a well in the centre of the flour and break the eggs into it. Whisk the eggs. incorporating any bits of flour from around the edge of the bowl as you do so.
3. Keep whisking while gradually adding small quantities of the milk and water mixture.
4. When all the liquid has been added, squeeze your preferred flavour of Primula into the mixture. Scrape any stray bits of flour from around the edge into the centre then whisk again until the batter is smooth.
5. Melt the butter in a pan. Spoon 2 tbsp of it into the batter and whisk it in. Pour the remaining butter into a separate bowl.
6. Using a wodge of kitchen paper to smear the remaining butter around the pan before you make each pancake.
7. Heat the pan until it is really hot then reduce heat down to medium
8. Using a ladle, pour the mixture into the pan and swirl it around to evenly coat the base.
9. Cook the pancake until tinged gold, about 30 seconds. Toss the pancake - careful not to - decorate your ceiling and cook the other side for another few seconds.
10. For enhanced flavour, squeeze your favourite Primula cheese on to the pancake, wrap and enjoy.
For more recipe ideas please visit: www.primula.co.uk.
Primula Cheese is a leading household brand and the range consists of original Cheese, Cheese & Chive, Cheese & Ham, Cheese & Prawn, Smokey Cheese in tubes and Primula Cheese in tubs. Primula Deli Soft Cheese in a tube is the latest innovative addition to the portfolio.
The recipe for Primula’s famous spreadable cheese is a closely guarded secret. The original recipe was created in 1924 by Olav Kavli in Bergen, Norway and is still used today at the Kavli factory in Gateshead over 80 years later.
Today Primula continues to offer consumers its traditional values of convenience, versatility and great taste. As a good source of calcium and with a lower fat content than hard cheese, Primula cheese is perfect for quick and wholesome snacks.
Kavli Ltd manufactures a range of spreadable cheese and dips from its Gateshead site under the Primula brand. The company also owns Castle MacLellan Foods, based in Kirkcudbright, proud makers of exquisite Scottish pâtés made from the finest local ingredients.
The Kavli Group is fully owned by the Kavli Trust which supports good causes both in the UK and worldwide.
Please visit: www.primula.co.uk / www.kavli.com